PopcornFX v2 Beta-2 is out!
You need to upgrade your existing projects in order to use it.
We updated the ‘Tutorials’ and ‘Samples’ online packages.
Select the ‘Online Packages’ tab in the project selection window and download the latest ones.
First time using PopcornFX v2.0? Take a look at the Getting_Started wiki page.
1 – Various rendering & editor improvements
- Particles use distortion shader (see the effect “Particles/Tutorials/043_Billboard_Features.pkfx”, in the “Tutorials” package)
- Viewport has some proper tone-mapping
- Fixed editor rendering modes to also affect backdrops, not just particles (wireframe, overdraw, …)
- Viewport displays shape samplers
2 – Simulation bounds are now computed
- Enables proper culling in game-engine
3 – Spatial layers
The v1.x “spatial layers” feature is now available in v2.0 beta-2!
This is a powerful construct that enables inter-particle communication and effects like plexus, crowd sims, and any effect that requires inter-particle interactions.
4- Nodal UX improvements
- specify an inline property for all pins whose type is not ‘auto’, without having to wire a constant node
- create nodes in the middle of existing wires, without having to manually reconnect them
- specify explicit update rates inside scripts
For advanced users, it’s possible to explicitly specify evaluation rates inside scripts.
This is done through the functions “eval.once(x)”, “eval.full(x)”, or “eval.at(x, y)”, where ‘x’ is the expression to be evaluated at that rate, and ‘y’ is a dependent expression whose update-rate needs to be used as the update rate of ‘x’
GPU simulation in UE4
- the DX11 GPU simulation can be used in the UE4 plugin
New “Tutorials” effects
We’ve updated The Tutorials package and it contains some new effects!
- Spatial layers tutorial effects
- Distortion effect
- “All nodes” effect. It shows all the nodes available, both builtin and in the core template library
- Second collision mask tutorial effect. It shows an effect that filters collisions based on the particle color hue.
- Fixed various crashes and bugs when editing effects
- Fixed multiple issues in grid backdrop (see #1597)
- Fixed some rendering glitches in billboard & ribbon renderers
- Fixed incorrect gamma-space when loading textures
- Can now rotate backdrops
And many other bugfixes…
Read the full changelog