Getting the Gem
Starting in v2.9.7, PopcornFX Gem for O3DE can be downloaded along with the associated PopcornFX Editor. Latest downloads: https://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php?title=Announcements
Make sure to grab a plugin version matching the PopcornFX Editor you are using.
The PopcornFX O3DE integration has released with v2.9.7. Be aware that some features are still missing. The Gem installation process we also be improved along O3DE development.
PopcornFX O3DE Gem require the Script Canvas and EMotionFX Gems.
O3DE engine and project setup
We advise you to set up a project from an engine version built inside the O3DE source folder. Using an external SDK install folder has not being tested yet.
The Gem is being developed using the stabilization branch of O3DE git.
1. Extract the PopcornFX folder in the directory of your choice. For example
2. Add a PopcornFX entry in
3. Run cmake on O3DE project folder, with the path to PopcornFX gem specified using
cmake -B <Project folder>/build -S <Project folder> -DLY_EXTERNAL_SUBDIRS=<PopcornFX gem folder> -DLY_3RDPARTY_PATH=<3rd party folder> -DLY_UNITY_BUILD=ON
4. Open your O3DE project (not engine) Visual Studio solution, you should see the PopcornFX Gem in the hierarchy. In VS hierarchy, this is not always displayed in “Gems” but follows Gem path on drive.
Build the solution.
Patching O3DE project
In order to have distortion particles working, PopcornFX needs to add a distortion post-effect to your Atom render pipeline:
1. Run PopcornScript/PatchProject.py,
python PatchProject.py <O3DE Folder> <Project folder>
python <PopcornFX gem folder>/PopcornScript/PatchProject.py C:/o3de/ C:/o3de-projects/MyProject
Adding effects to a scene
1. Create a PopcornFX O3DE project using the PopcornFX Editor at the root of your O3DE project.
2. Launch the O3DE Editor, add a “PopcornFX Emitter” component to an entity and choose a PopcornFX particle asset.
For correct rendering, assets used as normal map or distortion map by PopcornFX must use specific settings.
For now, those must be set by hand in O3DE. Right click on the texture asset an choose “edit texture settings”.
Pick the right setting: normal for normal maps, PopcornVectors for distortion maps.