Getting the Gem
Starting in v2.9.7, PopcornFX Gem for O3DE can be downloaded along with the associated PopcornFX Editor. Latest downloads: https://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php?title=Announcements
Make sure to grab a plugin version matching the PopcornFX Editor you are using.
The PopcornFX O3DE integration has released with v2.9.7. Be aware that some features are still missing. The Gem installation process we also be improved along O3DE development.
PopcornFX O3DE Gem require the Script Canvas and EMotionFX Gems.
O3DE engine and project setup
The Gem is being developed using the main branch of O3DE git.
1. Extract the PopcornFX folder in the directory of your choice.
2. Register the gem to your project using :
scripts\o3de.bat register -gp <gem-path> -espp <project-path>
scripts\o3de.bat register -gp
C:\Users\<User>\.o3de\Gems\PopcornFX -espp C:\Users\<User>\.o3de\Projects\NewProject
3. Enable the PopcornFX gem in the O3DE project manager and build.
Patching O3DE project
In order to have distortion particles working, PopcornFX needs to add a distortion post-effect to your Atom render pipeline:
1. Run PopcornScript/PatchProject.py,
python PatchProject.py <O3DE-source-repo-path> <
Adding effects to a scene
1. Create a PopcornFX O3DE project using the PopcornFX Editor at the root of your O3DE project.
2. Launch the O3DE Editor, add a “PopcornFX Emitter” component to an entity and choose a PopcornFX particle asset.
For correct rendering, assets used as normal map or distortion map by PopcornFX must use specific settings.
For now, those must be set by hand in O3DE. Right click on the texture asset an choose “edit texture settings”.
Pick the right setting: normal for normal maps, PopcornVectors for distortion maps.